Castle Clinton Summer Theater
New York, NY (1998)
This demountable theater seating structure was commissioned by the Conservancy for Battery Park and the National Park Service. The original stone fortification, erected in 1808, was roofed over in 1824 and used as a public concert hall; the fort now serves as an information center and site for informal outdoor events. The new open-air theater is comprised of a three-story arc of steel scaffold theater boxes inserted within the castle walls and rising 20 feet above. The skeletal seating arc set opposite a small stage creates a more formal theatrical space while increasing capacity by 400. A viewing platform oriented towards New York Harbor is suspended over the Castle walls, as are the two stair towers which provide additional access to the boxes.